Illinois State University
Illinois State University
Jump over the site's masthead's navigation bar.
Jump over the site's left-side navigation bar.

Applying for Admission as an Adult Learner/Nontraditional Student

Adult learners/nontraditional students must apply for admission to the University in order to enroll in classes. You may use the Undergraduate Application for Admission, Adult Learner Application, or the Graduate Application for admission, whichever is appropriate.

If you choose to enroll as an undergraduate or as a Graduate Student at Large using Welcome2ISU the Graduate Application for Admission, you should be aware of the following:

Undergraduate Adult Learner – or – Graduate Student-at-Large:

  • All persons 25 years of age or older prior to the first day of class for any given semester may be admitted to the University without presenting ACT or SAT scores and without providing proof of high school diploma and/or GED scores. Also, a transfer student is not required to submit transcripts from schools previously attended as long as attendance at other colleges or universities did not occur within two years of the desired enrollment date at Illinois State University. If attendance occurred within the last two years, a transcript is needed to show a minimum 2.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale. The adult learner is classified by the University as either an undergraduate unclassified student or as a graduate student-at-large. Neither of these classification has degree status. Also, in most cases, financial aid is not available for non-degree-seeking students.
  • The adult learner may at a later time be classified into the undergraduate program of his/her choice provided the admission requirements of that program are met. Classification in an undergraduate program may occur after completion of 12 semester hours with a 2.0 (C) average or better at Illinois State University, be in good academic standing, or by meeting the regular admission requirements as stated in the undergraduate catalog for beginning freshman or transfer students. This classification procedure is to be initiated in the Academic Advisement Office, Fell 340, (309)438-7604.
  • Graduate students may apply for readmission to graduate programs by filling out an application for admission to the Office of Admissions, (309) 438-2478. This may be done at any time the student wishes.

Former Illinois State students applying for admission through the New Start Program using the Nontraditional Student Option

Students who wish to return to Illinois State after being away for one or more semesters and who left in a degree program with less than a 2.0 grade point average (GPA) may return and begin with a new GPA calculated from the point of their reentry in three limited situations. The three options include the nontraditional student option, veteran option, and community college transfer option.

Nontraditional Student Option: Former Illinois State students at least 25 years of age may be considered for readmission through this option after being away for one full year. If they have attended any college (including Illinois State) in the three calendar years preceding re-enrollment at Illinois State, they must have achieved at least a 2.5 GPA for that college work. Transfer credit will be evaluated and appropriately awarded.

For more specific information about the New Start program please visit the Admissions website.

Illinois State University

University College
Normal, Il 61790-4060
Phone: (309) 438-3217

© 2015 Illinois State UniversityPrivacy StatementIdentity StandardsAppropriate Use Policy