Your Advising Appointment
In order to make the most of your advising appointment, we highly recommend preparing ahead of time. To prepare:
- Take a look at the Undergraduate Catalog. Pay special attention to requirements for majors you're thinking about pursuing.
- Bring your catalog with you to your advising appointment.
- Review “Progress Toward My Degree” in My.IllinoisState.edu. Find out how your previous, current, and future coursework fits into your academic plan!
- Come up with a list of questions and topics you’d like to discuss in your appointment.
- If you're not in a major or an unsure about the major you’ve chosen, visit the Majors web site and work through the steps.
- Check that all of your college transcripts and score reports (AP, CLEP) have been received by Illinois State. Once credit is awarded, it will be visible on My.IllinoisState.edu under “Progress Toward My Degree”. Also, your registration date is determined by hours completed, so get your transfer credit in as soon as possible!
- Let your advisor know why you'd like to meet. Letting them know what you'd like to go over can help them better prepare to meet with you.
Academic advising helps you plan your educational goals and work to achieve them. The purpose of this syllabus is to show you how to use the advising process at each step along the way.
Download the Advising Syllabus.