Illinois State University
Illinois State University
Jump over the site's masthead's navigation bar.
Jump over the site's left-side navigation bar.

Frequently Asked Questions

I am on probation, what will happen at the end of the semester?

Fall/Spring Semester

If you do not raise your cumulative grade point average to a 2.00 or better, you will be dismissed from the University. Please refer to the Undergraduate Catalog for more details about academic probation or contact your Academic Advisor.

Summer Session

The University does not dismiss as a result of summer session grades. However, if your cumulative grade point average is below a 2.00, summer session will count as a semester on academic probation.

Back to top

What do I do if I think my grade(s) are wrong?

You must contact the instructor of the class that you believe has listed the incorrect grade. If warranted, the instructor will complete a "Change of Grade" form, and submit that to the Records Office. The Records Office will notify University College once the change has been made. University College cannot act upon any grade changes until the changes are actually processed on your academic record. Please be aware that grade changes do take some time. If you have been dismissed from Illinois State, it is highly recommended that you file a petition for reinstatement even though you are expecting a grade change.

Back to top

I haven't received my grades!

Grades and letters regarding academic probation are sent to the student's home address that is provided by the student and posted on Please contact the Registrar Service Center to change your address, or go to to access your grades and to change your address.

Back to top

I'm a parent. How can I get my student's grades?

Due to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, we are unable to provide you with your student's grades unless your student has given the University permission to release that information to you. Please discuss this policy with your student. You can learn more about "Confidentiality of Student Records" in the Undergraduate Catalog. You can contact the University Registrar's office with questions or to receive more information about this policy at 309-438-2188.

Back to top

Illinois State University

University College
Normal, Il 61790-4060
Phone: (309) 438-3217

© 2015 Illinois State UniversityPrivacy StatementIdentity StandardsAppropriate Use Policy