Julia N. Visor Academic Center
The Julia N. Visor Academic Center is a division of University College that provides services and programs designed to assist students in their pursuit of academic excellence at Illinois State University. These services and programs have been developed to impact student retention:
- group tutoring in general education courses,
- one-on-one writing assistance,
- workshops designed to enhance student study techniques and academic skills,
- a computer lab that provides a quiet and supportive environment for study,
- the University Scholars Support Program, which provides academic enhancement and professional development opportunities for recipients of the University Scholarship,
- the Mary F. English Technology Award program, which provides a new laptop computer and printer as well as professional development opportunities for selected teacher education majors,
- the Minority Professional Development grant, which provides financial assistance to participate in certain professional development opportunities,
- the Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation, a National Science Foundation grant funded program that provides professional development opportunities for underrepresented minorities pursuing careers in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics,
- Project Success and Club Success, which provide support for students on academic probation,
- Success 101, which provides intrusive instructional and academic support for selected freshmen, and
- Adult Learner Services, which provides referral and support programming for non-traditional students.
All of the Visor Center’s programs and services further University College’s goal to help students succeed, from transition to college through graduation.